
It is tradition in our house to serve several homemade pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. This tradition began because everyone has a favorite pie. We usually have apple, cherry, cheesecake, pecan and pumpkin. The missionaries happened to stop by our house on my pie making day. I suggested they stop by for dessert on Turkey Day, but they declined because they already had a two dinner appointments. So, I suggested they could come by at Christmas time because there would be several pies once again.
Well, I did not make as many pies for Christmas this year. Perhaps because I over did it at Thanksgiving (11 pies!). By the time the missionaries stopped by, there weren't any pies left at all. Not even a crumb!
It is never a good idea to promise food to a missionary and then not follow through. So, I finally bake an apple pie and a pumpkin pie for the missionaries on Saturday.
Doesn't that apple pie look delicious? However, looks can be deceiving.
I left this pie to cool on the front burner of the stove. Someone, who shall remain unnamed, turned the burner on by mistake. Here is a view of the bottom side of the apple pie.

This afternoon I baked another apple pie. The missionaries stopped by this evening and enjoyed both pies and some fresh baked bread.

Oh, that's so sad! One time last year I had a similar experience, although my story is a bit more dramatic...I had just finished baking my first pumpkin pie of the season and decided that I didn't want to wait for it to cool on its own (b/c I didn't want to wait that long to eat it!) so I carefully carried it to the back door where I was going to set it on a stool to cool in the cold night air. As I made my way thru the living room, Misha jumped up to get a better whiff of what I was carrying and accidentally bumped my arm. As if in slow motion I watched my beautiful, delicious pie fall to the floor and smash into the carpet. I was so distraught that I cried! I decided that I wasn't going to let this unfortunate incident stop me from enjoying my pie so I got a fork and ate the part of the pie that wasn't actually touching the carpet. You can just see it, can't you? There I sat, crying and eating my destroyed pie off the floor while Ryan tried not to laugh. It's funny now, but I was SO upset when it happened. Ha ha!
ReplyDelete